Applications for Membership
Application deadlines for the 2017-2018 school year are Friday, September 29, 2017, and Friday, February 9, 2018. A student is eligible to apply for the first time during the second semester of his/her 10th-grade year. Once a student is accepted into NHS, membership is conferred for life provided s/he remains in good standing. Please note that failing to attend our annual banquet for any reason results in a student losing his/her status of good standing. Attendance at our yearly banquet is mandatory. As long as a member remains in good standing, there is no need to re-apply during subsequent semesters once having been accepted into NHS.
Membership applications are available in my Dropbox. Please click on the “Dropbox” tab at the top of this page; then, see the file “National Honor Society Membership Application” in the “National Honor Society” folder.
Applications are due by 3:15pm on the due date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted for any reason. Please don’t wait until the last minute to complete your application. Professional courtesy dictates giving your faculty references at least one week to complete your recommendation form.
Please feel free to see me for guidance or advice as you complete your application!
Please be sure you are registered to receive text message updates about NHS. Please text “@2018nhsphs” to 81010 to register, and then be sure you follow the instructions for the confirmation process. Note that the letters in the message are case sensitive. Please also note that, even though you may be given the option to do so, you can’t respond to me. I will not get your message. Please e-mail me instead.
While not a requirement of membership, our NHS service projects are the perfect way to give to the community. They are designed to fit your schedule and afford the opportunity to gather with your NHS friends while doing good for the world. Please get involved!
- 2017-2018 officers will have information ready for you at our first meeting of the year in October, 2017, as to how to get involved!
Our annual induction banquet is on Monday, April 23, 2018, from 6:00 to 8:00pm, in the PAC. Attendance is a mandatory part of becoming a member of NHS and/or maintaining your good standing as a member. Please invite your parents and extended family! If more than two guests will be joining you, please RSVP directly to me.
You will either be assigned to set-up (3pm – 5pm) or clean-up (8pm – finish) duties. Please do not trade duties with another NHS member without permission from Mr. Glasser. If you have a school-related reason that you need to be assigned to either set-up or clean-up, please e-mail Mr. Glasser at email@example.com by Wednesday, March 21, 2018, with your request. I will do my best to accommodate your schedule.
- Please make sure your parent(s) are aware of the date and that they are invited. Siblings and special relatives/guests may also come. If more than two guests will be joining you, please RSVP directly to me.
- The banquet is a pot-luck dinner. We will sign up for items to bring at our meeting on Friday, March 9, 2018. You will be assigned an item to bring if you can’t make the meeting. Please be sure you bring enough of your item for 12 healthy servings. If you are bringing a main dish, please make it a substantial item. Thank you!
- The banquet is mandatory for all NHS members, new and old. For new members, this is the night on which you will become official NHS members. If you don’t come, you are not a member of NHS. Please come and celebrate with us!
- Dress for the banquet is the following: if you are dressing masculine, please wear slacks (no jeans), a dress shirt, and a tie and/or a sports coat. If you are dressing feminine, please wear nice slacks (no jeans) or a dress/skirt and a dress shirt. For everyone, nice shoes only, please. No sneakers. You can view your food and set up/clean up assignments here: To Be Announced
All meetings will start at the beginning of our lunch period in room P-1.
Our first mandatory meeting for the 2017-2018 school year is scheduled for Friday, October 20, 2017. Please plan to attend whether you have already been inducted into NHS or you just received the good news that you have been selected to be inducted this year. At our gathering, our four officers will detail their plans for our community service projects for this year. To sign up, please contact the particular officer directly or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will meet as a group on Friday, March 9, 2018, and Friday, March 23, 2018.
Agendas for Meetings
March 9, 2018
- Sign up to bring items for the pot-luck dinner banquet. Please bring enough for 12 servings. If you sign up for a main dish, please do not bring a side dish.
- Correct your name’s spelling and/or your grade information if necessary. The information on this roster will go on your certificates of membership and the banquet program, so it is very important that you confirm the spelling of your name.
- Make yourself a candidate for NHS office for next year.
If you are interested in being an NHS officer next year, you must declare yourself a candidate at this meeting. There are 4 offices: president, vice president, treasurer, and secretary.
March 23, 2018
- Candidates for NHS office positions will each give a one- to two-minute speech detailing their qualifications. Due to time constraints, speeches will be cut off after two minutes. NHS members will then vote for the four officer positions.
The deadline to pay your dues for the 2017-2018 school year is Friday, March 23, 2018. You will be placed on the debt list if you don’t pay by this date.
Dues are $30 for 12th graders and $15 for underclassmen/women. The money covers Pioneer’s national NHS dues as well as the cost of our banquet and the regalia for your induction (certificate and calligraphy, membership card) and graduation (stole and pin). All members must pay dues through the WebStore or at the school store with Ms. Madrigal. I cannot accept payments from you directly.
If this cost presents a financial hardship for your family, please don’t hesitate to see me. Fee waivers are available.
- Go to the school’s web site, pioneerhigh.org. Scroll down and click on the shopping cart, or the link, on the left.
- Click on My Account, then click on Register for an Account (under the green Login button).
- Create an account for the person making the payment, using the name and address that matches your payment card.
- Click on Register. You will receive an e-mail with a link. Click on the link and log into your account.
- Click on My Family. Enter student’s ID# with zeros in front to make it 8 digits. It must be exactly 8 digits long or it will not work. Follow the prompts to complete linking your student. Link any other students who are here at Pioneer.
Senior Scholarship Information
Only 12th graders are eligible to apply. Strong preference will be given to seniors who have participated meaningfully in NHS community service projects. Applications should be submitted directly to Ms. Markos in the Pioneer College and Career Center. (I recuse myself from the selection process and am not involved in any way.) The deadline to submit your 2017-2018 application is Monday, April 2, 2018, at 3:05 pm. Late or incomplete applications cannot be accepted.
Scholarship applications are available in my Dropbox. Please click on the “Dropbox” tab at the top of this page; then, see the file “National Honor Society Senior Scholarship Application” in the “National Honor Society” folder.